Thursday, January 25, 2007

She's cut and run!

I don't quite know how to put this. And I definitely don't quite know how to cope. For the first time in my life, I'm experiencing some form of separation anxiety. Quiet heart palpitations... a choking in the throat which leads to excess swallowing... a slight tension that has settled around my neck and shoulders... and a nervous look has appeared on my face as if I don't quite know how to face the future and I'm scared of what's around the corner.

Yes, that's correct. My hair dresser is leaving. The person who has lovingly coiffed, styled, washed and nourished my locks for close to the past three years, has taken a post overseas to further her career. Hello? What about me! (It isn't fair, I've had enough now I want my share...).
You know, I've had others in the past, sure, but, for once, this is the one person who truly gets me. And my hair. And I don't know where I go from here- I don't know who I can turn to.

A good hairdresser makes the world of difference- they are someone you trust, someone who greets you by name, compliments you on your appearance (even if you look and feel disgusting). They rub their hands through your hair, even when you know you've put off washing it those past few days, stretching it out until the day you get it cut. They know when to talk, when to stay quiet, when you need that extra 2 minutes of head massage, they know just how many foils to put in without making you look like a zebra, or worse, a washed out clone. My hairdresser was all of that.

And I should know, I've had my fair share of bad ones. When I was younger, and poorer (OK, a uni student living in a share house), I went to a budget hairdresser for a trim. You know, the kind of place where they don't even bother to wash your hair, they just spray some water on it from a squirty bottle. Ugh, it makes me shudder to think about it. Anyway, the charming hairdresser who tended my locks that day, picked up the ends of them, held them out as if it were a plagued rat, and sniffed "oh my god, your hair is so dry, I'm not even going to go there". And I thought, "love, that's exactly why you're working in a place that charges $10 for a hair cut".!

So, an era of my life is over, and I'm sure I'll have to go through much pain again, before I find another keeper. Because that's what good hairdressers are; like good men, they're hard to find. And once you do, you hang on to 'em and never let 'em go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! Perhaps you need to some investigative work and find a hairdresser that works for other people and try them out...Never go down my route and having found one that was good - move state to find nothing good and they only one that is half decent talks in an annoying "Brit Essex" twang - with lots of "you right luv" then reading your magazines over your shoulder with running commentary. Must call for a top 10 list of best hairdressers ever!